As we start a new decade it’s exciting to think about the changes coming to Memorial City. Here’s a look back at all of the changes that we have seen over the past decade.
- In 2010 Memorial City opened the doors to The Fountains, our first luxury residential midrise, with 114 well-appointed apartment homes, a roof-top pool and private dog park.
- The Westin Memorial City welcomed its first visitors in 2011. The 4-star hotel has an infinity-edge pool on the 18th floor and is connected to Memorial City Mall by a skybridge across Gessner Road!
- In 2012 Memorial City cut the ribbon for the office tower at 945 Bunker Hill. It’s been certified LEED Silver by the US Green Building Council for its innovative and environmentally-friendly design.
- Memorial City had two big openings in 2013; the 14-story Murphy Building, which has been certified LEED gold, and Gateway Memorial City, home to luxury retailers and restaurants like Thomas Markle Jewelers, Churrascos, KUU Restaurant and State Fare.
- 2014 was a big year with the opening of The Treehouse Memorial City, the most environmentally-friendly building in Texas. The USGBC certified it LEED Platinum! The second floor houses MetroNational’s design, planning and construction offices, while the first level is home to Liberty Kitchen at The Treehouse.
- In 2015 the first of the two buildings that comprise the Air Liquide Center was opened. The Paris-based company is the world’s largest supplier of industrial gases. They moved their U.S. headquarters to Memorial City because they wanted room to expand and to take advantage of the amazing amenities!
- Memorial City 2016 celebrated the opening of The Square. This 4,000 square foot greenspace is situated between The Rouxpour, Maggiano’s Little Italy and The Cheesecake Factory. Every month The Square hosts dozens of family-friendly events, and you can watch sports, movies or play video games on the giant 24’x14’ HDTV screen.
- 2017 was another big year. Memorial expanded north of I-10 for the first time with the opening of 10100 Katy Freeway, which is now home to the U.S. headquarters of CEMEX and McGriff, Seibels & Williams. The luxury boutique Hotel ZaZa Memorial City also welcomed its first visitors.
- In 2018 Memorial City celebrated the opening of The Lawn, its second greenspace, located right next to Hotel ZaZa. It’s used for artisan markets, food & wine festivals, live music, circus performances and is a nice place for kids to play while parents enjoy dinner and drinks on the patio of Ciro’s Italian Grill.
- In 2019 The McAdams Memorial City was completed. The 333-unit luxury apartment midrise features an 8th floor amenities area with an infinity-edge pool, outdoor grills, theater, game rooms and panoramic views of Houston’s amazing skyline.
Now it’s 2020 and there are several projects in the works including The McKinley, a new luxury apartment highrise. Also, Kirby Ice House, Torchy’s Tacos and Mia’s Table are all coming to the Northwest Corner … and there is exciting news about the redevelopment of Memorial City Mall that is soon to come. Stay tuned.
Let's see what exciting developments this decade brings to the Memorial District.